Wednesday, October 13, 2021

Ramen Amen

Ramen Amen

Ramen is not just a food anymore. It is part of Japanese culture. Ramen is a relatively new food in Japan. It has an origin in China, then it came to Japan about 100 years ago. Ramen is one of the most popular foods in Japan, and I think almost all Japanese people eat ramen more than sushi. It is inexpensive, but tastes really good, so many people can enjoy eating it. Ramen is also popular in the US. For example, in Chicago there are some ramen restaurants However, the flavor, the noodles and the ingredients are totally different from what I used to eat in Japan. I was astonished by the difference, because Chicago is famous for good food, so I thought I could have a good ramen. I miss Japanese real ramen so much. Moving to Chicago made me realize that I really like ramen. It was my part of life,and it enriched my life.
Most common type of ramen in Japan (chicken-based)

Ramen has evolved uniquely since it came from China. The ramen people eat nowadays is different from the one in China. There are 265,000 ramen restaurants in Japan, which is almost equal to the number of 7-elevens in Japan. There are many types of ramen, for example, Miso-based, Soy sauce-based, Pork-based, Chicken-based, Jirou-style and Yokohama-style. My favorite is Yokohama-style, which soup is based on pork and has an origin in Yokohama city one of big city in Japan. I love the ramen because the special rich soup makes me think I am alive and want to thank to God. when I go to ramen restaurant, I decide what type of ramen to eat and then search for a ramen restaurant. I think that it is the most common Japanese routine of ramen. However, I cannot do this routine in Chicago. Because almost all ramen restaurants are made for Americans. The hardness of the noodle is weak, the tastes of soup is also weak and the ingredients are different. I cannot find ramen that suits me.
Pork-based

If I got hungry in Japan, I could choose the way to enjoy it, going to restaurants or making it by myself. As described in the previous paragraph, there are many ramen restaurants in Japan, so I could go whenever I want to go. Most of the restaurants are not expensive, so it is easy for students like me to go enjoy ramen. In addition, there are so many instant ramen in Japan. If I pay two or three dollars, my stomach and heart will be filled with happiness Surprisingly most instant ramen sold in the US are Japanese companies. I cannot believe that those companies sell such products.
Yokohama style
Yokohama is a city name. It is one of big cities in Japan
Don't drink all soup. You'll be sick next day.

Ramen is also part of nightlife entertainment. Most ramen restaurants in Japan open even after 12AM, so many people goes to there after drinking at Izakaya, which is a Japanese bar. It is much more delicious to eat ramen at midnight. I do not know Why, but I cannot help eating it. I often had midnight ramen with my friends after drinking. We chatted, ate and laughed a lot. It was a great time. In addition, we smoked after eating. Smoking cigarettes after eating midnight ramen is It is almost like a drug. I love this sequence of events. However, I cannot do this in the US, because there are no ramen restaurant opening at midnight in Chicago.
My favorite Japanese instant ramen

Ramen is not just a food. It brings entertainment. I did not know that ramen was such a special thing until I arrived in Chicago. Ramen culture is one of the cool parts of Japanese culture, and I am proud of that. Maybe I cannot experience such a cool culture in Chicago, but I am okay with that. Moving to the other country is like a changing one’s custom, I think. I will find out another thing that brings my life happiness.
My favorite fancy ramen in my hometown


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that traditional food can easily arouse people's homesickness. My kids love to eat Ramen because that was their favorite food that I use to cook when they were little.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to try the original Ramen like the one in the picture. Traditional food is always different and it's not as same as our hometown and I can feel you because there is a huge different between Jordanian food here and back-home

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atticus, I'm also looking for a Japanese restaurant to eat pork curry rice like in Paris!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you mean, you like Japanese-style curry? That's amazing!

      Delete

  Bahman Razani ESL 100 October 9, 2021 Finding Hope in a Tragedy      Iran  was the best and the most advanced country in the Middle East u...