Sunday, September 26, 2021

My name

 Mays Almoghrabi 

September 13,2021

 ESLINTG 100

Pride

My name was given to me by my paternal grandmother. She used to go to a family doctor whose first name was Mays, and she really loved her. My grandmother thought if I had her name, I would have the same personality as her. I love my name because it makes me feel special and unique. My name means to be proud of yourself and strength. My name is very easy to pronounce, and I like that as well.

In the United States, American people think it means the month of May, which is not true, and that makes me angry sometimes. My name has different meanings in every language. For example, in Spanish Mais means corn, it sounds the same, but it spells differently. I just realized that when I came to the United States and met new people from Mexico. My sister wanted to give me the name “Amar,” which means Moon in Arabic. I am glad that my parents chose Mays. Even though the other name, 'Amar’ has a beautiful meaning, many people would make fun of it and bully me because of the name Amar. The name ‘Amar’ represents a girl who is cute and quiet a girl that anyone can take advantage of.

Now that I am an adult, I feel like Mays fits my personality better. I am not that cute, quiet girl that anyone can take advantage of. The meaning of my name Mays, strength, and being proud, represents the person I have become today. 



Pride Word Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

No comments:

Post a Comment

  Bahman Razani ESL 100 October 9, 2021 Finding Hope in a Tragedy      Iran  was the best and the most advanced country in the Middle East u...